Thursday, October 19, 2017

Spielberg

I watched the HBO documentary Spielberg the other night and I came away very unimpressed. After a few days of thinking on it I'm upset that I wasted my time on this love-fest piece of pap.

Yes Steven Spielberg was a historically great director. Helming such movie classics as Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan.

But of the last 10 films he directed only 2012's Lincoln stands out. And that stands out more for the acting of Daniel Day-Lewis than anything else. And his last 10 films include all-time shit-fests Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and 2005's War of the Worlds (which may be the worst big-budget movie I've seen in my life).

Maybe HBO felt that Spielberg needed an ego boost and that's fine and dandy but I didn't need to be a participant in the circle-jerk. And you don't either. Don't waste your time on this "documentary".

I don't mean to be all "what have you done for me lately" regarding Spielberg but perhaps what bugs me most was how whitewashed the whole thing was. Spielberg's friend and fellow director John Milius wasn't even mentioned. I mean that guy, among other things, wrote the Indianapolis speech for Quint in Jaws. If Milius was whitewashed out of Spielberg's history what other things also were left out in this "documentary"? Again - don't waste your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment